Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Rumination

When I started thinking about adopting a child, my first choice was international adoption. Then, when I started thinking about countries, Guatemala was the first choice. They have young, healthy babies that are raised in foster homes, not orphanages. It made sense. I could get a baby, less than 9 months old, healthy and only have to travel 2 hours by plane. The in-country stay is only 3-5 days. It all made practical sense.

But....something didn't sit right with this decision. I can't explain it. And, I didn't realize it until something inside my head came alive and said, 'heritage.' Immediately I thought of Eastern Europe. Then, once that ruminated in my head for a few days, it started to become clearer. All of a sudden it didn't matter that I get an infant aged child, in foster care. It didn't matter that I would have to travel overseas for 10 plus hours and stay in-country for 4-6 weeks. It didn't matter that the child would be over age 1 and live in a state run orphanage. I have been called to adopt from Eastern Europe.

Next question, which country? I called my Dad and he reminded me my Grandmother's family is from Minsk, Belarus. We can't adopt from there, so I started looking at neighboring countries. Russia, Ukraine, Moldova. Then, Ukraine struck me. I must go with Ukraine. I don't know why - but then I happened upon Everything is Illuminated, and Chernobyl Heart and it became clear. Illumination is exactly right. Heritage is important - and helping a child in an orphanage is even more important. Now, all this resonates in my heart. God led me to this decision. I am not 100% sure why, but I know it will all make sense when I get to Ukraine, and when I see my child for the first time. It will all make sense.

No comments: